Welcome To South Asian Union Forum
( NEW = Guests Can Reply On News Articles..)

You are currently viewing the forum as "Guest" which doesn't give you the same privilege as members to ask questions, post news or post comments in all forums. Click the Register button below to unlock the limitations of this website to start posting what ever the problam you may want to share...

Auto Membership. you can log in soon after registering with us.....

Login Name=
Any E-Mail Address=
Password=

Thats It......
( NEW = Guests Can Reply On News Articles..)

You are currently viewing the forum as "Guest" which doesn't give you the same privilege as members to ask questions, post news or post comments in all forums. Click the Register button below to unlock the limitations of this website to start posting what ever the problam you may want to share...

Auto Membership. you can log in soon after registering with us.....

Login Name=
Any E-Mail Address=
Password=

Thats It......
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a discussion table for millions of south Asians living around the world to express their thoughts on the latest events. www.SouthAsianUnion.info is a powerful tool for all ethnic groups to share information, knowledge and wisdom.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
India Breaking News
Pakistan Breaking News
Sri Lanka Breaking News
Bangladesh Breaking News
Afghanistan Breaking News

Protest held against Indian mine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewsBot

NewsBot

Sex : Male
I Am From... I Am From... : South Asia
Mother Tongue Mother Tongue : English

Protest held against Indian mine Empty
PostSubject: Protest held against Indian mine   Protest held against Indian mine Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Protest held against Indian mine _46120128_-13 Bianca Jagger has led protests against Vedanta

Activists have demonstrated outside the annual general meeting of British mining company Vedanta, protesting against its plans for a mine in India.
The Kondh tribe says the opening of the bauxite mine will destroy a large part of the Niyamgiri Mountain in the eastern Indian state of Orissa.
A tribe elder was to attend the London meeting, while environmental campaigner Bianca Jagger protested outside.
They have appealed to investors to stop Vedanta going ahead with the mine.
Vedanta says the project is ethically and environmentally sound.

Protest held against Indian mine OProtest held against Indian mine Start_quote_rb We have been living in harmony with this mountain, these forests, these animals for generations. Vedanta has been here for less than 10 years. Protest held against Indian mine End_quote_rb

Sitaram Kulisika, Kondh tribe elder

Ms Jagger is supported by UK-based campaign groups, including ActionAid and Survival International.
They held a demonstration outside the meeting the venue of the Vedanta meeting in London, with a yellow digger to illustrate the kind of mining assault they say the firm will launch on the Niyamgiri hills, which many tribal peoples believe to be sacred.
Way of life
ActionAid bought a single share in Vedanta for tribal activist Sitaram Kulisika so that he could attend the meeting on behalf of the Kondh tribe.
"Last year Vedanta directors promised not to mine without our consent. I am here to request all shareholders to honour that promise and save our livelihood and our god," he said ahead of the protest.
"We have been living in harmony with this mountain, these forests, these animals for generations. Vedanta has been here for less than 10 years.
Protest held against Indian mine _44812311_2b3e1e8b-4ed7-43e9-8bb7-83ef64618985 Critics say that the Vedanta operation is a social and environmental disaster

"They cannot tell us what is best for our future."
Ms Jagger has called on investors, including the Church of England and some borough councils, to rethink their involvement with Vedanta.
The Church has shares in Vedanta worth £2.5m ($4.1m).
Mining giant Vedanta is based in the UK but has most of its operations in India.
It is about to start mining bauxite in the Niyamgiri hills, to be processed at a refinery that has already been built in the area.
Bauxite is used to make aluminium.
The company and its Indian partner have been accused of forcing people to move from the land.
Vedanta has said it is committed to developing the project "in line with the best international standards for environmental management", and has noted that the project has been approved by India's Supreme Court.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southasianunion.info/sau-news-category-breaking-news-

Page 1 of 1